By Paolo Puggioni
Greetings, in this post I will be continuing my series concerning Magic-Users in my OD&D campaign.
In this installment unlike my last post in the series where I showEd with some thematic tweaks how you can reskin the standard Magic-User to create a new class or variant. In this installment I will take the Magic-User class and make some more definite changes, thus creating an all new class.
In my setting magic is still potent and flows through everything. It has three origins Law via divinities or agents of Order, Chaos via Infernal divinities or agents of Chaos and lastly Neutrality via the Titans – primordial divinities of Nature or other agents of balance or the eternal cycle.
Though magic is still potent in the world, the knowledge has largely been lost following the aftermath of a worldwide cataclysm.
Long ago the Titans sick of the constant struggles of both Law and Chaos in the world created powerful seals limiting access to the world by the powers of Law and Chaos.
Creating these seals drained the Titans of power and forced them into a multi millennium slumber. During this time where the divine and Infernal was limited from influence within the world, the Magi, rose in power and influence.
Unbeknownst to these mortal practitioners of magic that the more that they used magic the weaker the seals became. So after three millennia the seals broke and magic floods back into the world in uncontrollable torrents – that warped the very world in its wake.
Civilizations crumbled, new civilizations rose and fell again. But it wasn’t just magic being released into the world, but Infernal creatures from the Underworld, creatures and agents of Law from the Outer Realms of Law and from the Elemental planes.
Though much of the lore was lost in last century or two of the aftermath there were those who did preserve some of this magical lore – the Magi. Though few in number they sought to reclaim their lost secrets and regrow their numbers, power and influence.
As part of this process some came under the influence and eventual patronage of agents of Law, Chaos and Neutrality. One of those factions in the world are the Elementalists.
Elementalists are similar to Adventuring Priests and Warrior-Priests as they derive their knowledge and abilities by creating pacts with Elemental Lords.
But unlike the Adventuring Priest and Magi who need to study and research new spells to cast their magic – Elementalists can tap into the Elemental Realm of their patron and cast their spell without having to do research or study a spell book and memorize a spell.
That said they require concentration and time for marshaling the power and to properly manifest the spell within their mind in order to cast it. The more powerful the spell the longer and more draining the spell.
Whereas both Adventuring Priests and Magi can cast spells via incantations or prayers, Elementalists cannot.
By Matt Forsyth
Elementalists also are limited to Spells tied to their Elemental Lord and their duty to them. But they gain other abilities to counter this restriction in spells.
There are four Elemental Lords – Grond Lord of Earth, Ishya Lady of Air, Zhuul Lord of Fire and Kilat Lady of Water.
Like Adventuring Priests and Warrior-Priests Elementalists must preform sacrifices and create shrines to exalt their patron and bring new gifted vassals to their patrons service.
Elementalists gain abilities in exchange for their service and loyalty to their Elemental Lord. These abilities are are tied to the element their patron controls.
An example: An Elementalist of Zhuul has abilities tied to Fire and has an animosity to Elementalists of Kilat.
By Felicia Cano
HD 6 Alignment Neutral
Weapons: Special see below
- Spell Casting – restricted to those tied to element of their patron.
- Elemental Resistance – resistance to normal non-magical attacks or aspects of nature tied to their element. They get a +2 to all saves vs. these attacks/aspects. Special see below.
- Elemental Resistance – at levels 3 and 6 they get Save vs. magical attacks as if they were twice their level (6 & 12 respectively).
- Elemental Immunity – at level 12+ they have full immunity to all natural and magical attacks linked to their chosen element – including Dragon’s Breath.
- Elemental Aspects – at levels 4, 8 & 12 the Elementalist develops a mutation tied to their element and this in turn will gradually transform into a semi-elemental being with an extended lifespan. Special see below.
- Summon an elemental familiar tied to their element. Special see below.
- An Elementalist cannot join a party with another Elementalist of their rival Elemental Lord. Example: Zhuul – Kilat and Ishya – Grond.
- Vulnerability to opposing Element -2 from 1st to 4th level, -4 from 5th to 8th level and -6 from 9th level on saves Vs. that element.
- They must choose a taboo and if they break the taboo they are sent on a quest (as spell) to redeem themselves. They lose their abilities until the quest is completed or they fail in which they lose them permanently or they died on the quest.
Weapons – An Elementalists are trained in weaponry symbolically tied to their Elemental Lord:
- Grond – Bludgeoning Weapons
- Ishya – Missile Weapons
- Zhuul – Bladed Weapons
- Kilat – Whips and Chain based Weapons
Combat – Elementalists are trained in Martial Arts styles symbolically tied to their element:
- Earth – Defensive, Hard and immobile, strikes, locks and grappling.
- Air – Defensive, Light and flowing, strikes and throws.
- Fire – Aggressive fast and flamboyant. Strikes and bladed hand and feet weaponry.
- Water – Aggressive but flexible. Locks, throws and grappling.
In these Martial Arts they can only be used against Humanoid opponents and they add a +1 to both their AC and Damage while fighting unarmed (minus exceptions above) every 3 levels.
At 1st-3rd level they get +1, at 4th -6th level +2, at 7th-9th level +3 and 10+ level they get a +4.
At 3rd level an Elementalist preforms a ritual involving a sacrifice and if their Elemental Lord is pleased will send their servant a elemental familiar to serve them.
These Elemental Familiars grow in power every four levels and suffer the same resistances and vulnerabilities that their master have. Also they can do greater damage at every four levels of their masters.
The elemental familiar of Fire and Water because of their nature must be stored in a magical vessel until needed. Whereas Earth and Air elemental familiars can walk or fly besides their master.
At 4th-7th level they are 1 HD creatures, at 8th-11th level they are 2 HD creatures and at 12+ levels they are 3 HD creatures.
I will make a list of available elemental familiars for players to roll on or choose from (with DM approval).
- Earth – to acids, gases and other toxic substances from the earth.
- Air – Non-magical lightening, heavy winds cold from air based natural phenomena.
- Fire – non-magical fire, embers, Heat, smoke and toxic fumes created by fire.
- Water – drowning (ability to hold breath for long periods), salt water, tainted water and slippery surfaces (including ice).
Elementalists by channeling raw elemental magic, preforming sacrifices and communing with their Elemental Lord; they slowly transform into a semi-elemental being. Though technically human they have an extended lifespan and gain mutations influenced by their Elemental Lord.
I will be creating lists of these mutations broken into minor, intermediate and major categories. The players can either roll randomly or pick to fit their image of how their character should look (with DM approval).
Extra Note concerning Elemental Aspects:
Once an Elementalist has achieved full status as a semi-elemental being any children begotten via they will be a Vanyar. There is also a chance that a child produced after level 4 will be a Vanyar.
At 4th-7th level on a roll of a 6 on a d6 a Vanyar is born, at 8th-11th level it is a 4-6 a d6 an Vanyar is born.
Note: The Vanyar will be discussed in far more depth in a future post.
So this is the Elementalist class and shows how you can take bits and pieces of existing classes and make something that thematically fits your world but doesn’t take away another classes special niche.
I wanted a variant of the Magi-User in my setting that was tied to the four primal alchemical elements, as I was inspired in part by the Fire Elementalists of the Adventurer comics I read as a teen and the Avatar the Last Air Bender and it’s spinoff The Legend of Korra.
Well I will end this installment of my blog so I can get it posted and shared about. Please take care, fin.